Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Good Deed of the Day

On my way to work yesterday I decided to stop at the Sound Garden to pick up a DVD I wanted. I was walking around Armory Square and I saw a woman in a wheelchair coming around the corner. As I walked by, I watched her as she opened the door to enter a building. I noticed that she was having trouble with something and I stopped to see if she needed any help. She told me her shoe had fallen off, so I helped her put it back on. She thanked me, and proceeded to open the door to enter the building. I stayed for a moment longer to make sure she got into the building safely. She seemed to struggle a little with the door, so I asked her if she needed help with it. She politely responded that she was okay, so I continued on my way to the record store.

As I walked away, I was overcome with a sense of fulfillment and contentment. I was in a pleasant mood for the rest of the day. I'm glad I encountered that lady. That experience made my day.

3 comments:

gardenbug said...

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty. I wish I had written this, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Congratulations ..because you did a kind act with nothing in return...and did it anonamously.

Anthony said...

I have a soft spot in my heart for those in need, especially the disabled. This stems from being around many disabled people throughout school, especially in high school. My best friend is also disabled, and she is the love of my life. The only reward I need is the satisfaction of knowing I did something for someone who needed it.

Melanie O. said...

I think it's sad that this women did not even say "thank you." It's because of things like this that fewer people actually stop to do kind deeds. It's good that you are satisfied within yourself, but in my opinion, that woman was rather rude to not acknowledge your help. You are the better person.