Thursday, January 24, 2008

Music Project: Part One


The idea of some sort of music project has been lurking around in my brain for years. I've never played in a band, and I really don't have the connections to join or start a band. I am not a great singer and I could never be a "solo artist." Nevertheless, I love music, and I love guitars. I've been playing for almost 10 years now, and I'm confident enough in my playing to want to share it with others in some way. I've written several songs over the years and I would like to record some of them.

When Stacy visited over the holidays, she and I discussed making some recordings for fun. This idea completely makes sense because Stacy and I have the same taste in music. She listens to everything I listen to and more. We enjoy singing our favorite songs together. Most of the musicians and singers we admire are female, and I always had the idea that if I had a band, I would have a female singer. But this is not going to be a band. It will just be a fun recording project. It will be mine and Stacy's lovechild. The whole experience will be worth more than the actual music created.

I've never done any serious recording, just some noodling around on a cheap karaoke machine when I was a kid. My brothers and I used to make tapes of us doing silly commercials for fake products and singing ridiculous jingles. We also pretended we were radio DJs and played songs in between our nonsense ramblings. Despite all that, I never really attempted to record music, except for two occasions I can remember. One time I hooked up my keyboard to the karaoke machine with an adaptor Robert gave me and recorded a song and listened to the playback. Another time I stuck the microphone inside my acoustic guitar and recorded some riffs over the song "Angel" by Fleetwood Mac (from the Tusk album).

My neighbor Chris is also a musician as well as a computer geek (I use the term affectionately). I'm discussing with him some ideas about music recording, in which he has experience. I'm also going to ask my cousin (who is also, coincidentally, named Chris) and see if he has any advice or recommendations.

I plan on getting a small home recording device of some kind, one that allows me to record multiple tracks (guitar, keyboard, vocals, etc.) and mix them. I'm also going to need some sort of music software that allows me to mix the songs on my computer. Once the recording process is finished, I plan on making some CDs. That part will be easy. I have a long way to go...

I'm currently browsing through homerecording.com and trying to soak in as much as possible. I have a feeling this idea is going to be expensive...

3 comments:

gardenbug said...

How exciting! Your cousin has lots of experience recording music. He has two songs published. I am sure He can help you. Keep it up and let me know what happens.

Melanie O. said...

How is the music project coming along? Any progress?

Anthony said...

My music project is currently on hiatus until at least after tax season. My living situation may change soon, and I have other priorities. I will keep you up-to-date as the events unfold.