Thursday, October 18, 2007

The last farmer's market

Tuesday was the last downtown farmer's market of the year. Now that lot becomes a parking lot (which it usually is, anyway). I am going to try to go to the farmer's market at the Regional Market, which is close to my mother's house. I would like to continue to buy fresh, local, affordable produce. So that means I have to get my ass up on Saturday morning and take a bus ride! It's a little bit of a longer ride because I have to transfer onto a different bus, but I'm going to see if I can do it. It was nice to have the convenience of stopping at the market and looking around before work. Now I have to take a trip. Oh well.

Here is a summary of all the things I've bought at the farmer's market this year: Plums, pears, figs, tomatoes, onions, garlic, corn, yellow summer squash, zucchini, acorn squash, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, cabbage, and sweet potatoes. I still have so much food in my house! I'd better get to cooking, because we've had a bountiful harvest this year. Halloween's coming up... I should make pumpkin pie! Autumn is the most inspirational time for food and cooking. Pretty soon Thanksgiving will be here and we'll be stuffed to the brim!

2 comments:

gardenbug said...

Last Sunday, Spence, his family and I went to Bishop's Orchard. I bought lots of good stuff. Then We took a wagon ride into the apple orchards. It was so much fun to pick apples right from the trees. Then We went to another field and finished off the raspberry bushes. We were "gleaners". At the market, We fed the llamas, ate kettle corn and people watched. I just love this type of experience. Glad you enjoy the same.

Anthony said...

It sounds like you had a great time! I miss apple and berry picking. I used to enjoy it as a child, but I haven't done it in years. When I asked my dad to go apple picking, he just drove us up to a farm and we bought them at the little store they have there. How dull! I enjoy Nature: the seasons, the foods, the beauty and simplicity. To me, Nature is God. It is what keeps me alive.